Wednesday, March 2, 2011

4- Letter Words




Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. I Corinthians 13:4 NIV

My grandson Cameron will soon turn seven. He attends public school and is in special education. Cameron has been trying to "fit in" and in doing so has developed a few bad habits. One of those habits is saying four- letter words.

He came home from school the other day and from the way he was acting I knew he must of had a bad day. I questioned Cameron about his day. Part of him learning to adjust is learning to talk about his feelings.

"Cameron," I questioned. "What did you do today at school?"

He ignored me, so I knew he probably had gotten into trouble. I left him alone and leafed through his agenda book and saw in big letters what his teacher had written: " Cameron was saying a four-letter word today. Would you please talk to him?"

Great, I thought. Cameron and I had talked about the consequences of saying four-letter words. He knew he wasn't suppose to say bad words.

I called Cameron into the living room. His head hung and slumped his shoulders. He knew he was in trouble.

"Cameron, did you say a bad word today at school?" He looked at me and shook his head no.

I knew he wasn't being truthful. "Cameron," I walked over and sat beside him. You know it's not nice to say ugly words."

"Yes m'am," he sniffled.

"I want you to promise you won't say anymore four-letter words."

"But mawma, I can't promise."

I looked at him sternly. "What do you mean you can't promise not to say anymore four-letter words."

Cameron grabbed my hand. "Mawma, if I promised not to say anymore four letter words I can't tell you I love you."

I looked at him. My grandson was right. He couldn't make that promise because love is a four-letter word.

"OK, how about you don't say anymore bad four-letter words?" 

He wrapped his arms around my neck tight. "It's a deal mawma."

Cameron was right I couldn't make him promise not to say anymore four-letter words, because love is a four-letter word. And without LOVE there is nothing.

After our talk my grandson didn't say anymore "bad words". When he gets angry instead of blurting a word he knows he isn't suppose to say instead he says love.

Cameron taught me a lesson that day. Love is the most important four-letter word in our lives.




6 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I'm your newest follower from MBC-please follow back :)
    http://www.pro-tography101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, fellow Grandma! I'm a new follower from Crazed Fan blog hop. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's SO sweet! I'm stopping by from the Crazed Fan hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awhhh...that's so sweet!! I’m a new follower from The Crazed Fan Week-End blog hop, your site is amazing and I’ll definitely be checking back often!! I would love it if you would follow me back!!
    Thanks,
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Checking you out and following you from the Blog hop weekend.

    Hope you do the same.

    Kelli
    www.letsstartsavingnow.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! This is precious. Kids can teach us some pretty powerful lessons, can't they? Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete