Thursday, March 17, 2011

Or-ange You Glad

Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.' "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'"
Luke 13:25 NIV

My grandson came home from school and announced he learned a new joke.
OK, I thought. I’m game.

I was apprehensive because my seven year old grandson had picked up a few bad habits from the “older” kids. I wasn’t sure what was going to come out of his mouth. I prepared myself for the worse.
“Alright Cameron, tell me your new joke.”
“Knock knock.”
“Who’s there?” I stiffled my laughter

“Banana.”
I knew where the joke was going. It was older than me, but I listened patiently for him to finish his “new” joke.
“Banana who?’
“Knock knock”
“Who’s there?”
“Banana.”
“Banana who?”
This went on for a few  minutes until he reached the punch line.
“Knock knock.”
“Who’s there?
“Orange.”
“Orange who?”
“Or-ange you glad I didn’t say banana?’
I laughed at his joke, he was thrilled and ran off to play.

His joke made me think of another knock knock story.
“Knock knock.”
“Who’s there”
“Satan.”
“Satan who?’
“Knock knock.”
“Who’s there?”
“Satan.”
“Satan who?”
“Knock knock.”
“Who’s there?”
“Satan and I’ve come to take control of your soul.”
When Satan comes knocking on our door, we are quick to invite him in, but how quick are we to invite Jesus into our lives?

When Jesus knocks at our door, why do we act like He’s a stranger?
“Knock knock”
“Who’s there?”
“Jesus.”
“Jesus who?”

“Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?”
“Jesus.”
“Jesus who?’
“Or-ange you glad I’m not Satan and I died for your sins?”
Yes, I am! Are you?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad! Happy Lenten season to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, so glad! Kids always enjoy knock, knock jokes, and yours about Jesus is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it. Very decriptive, very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and much needed~Thank you!

    ReplyDelete