Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Want to Look Like a Gentleman

It's been a while since I've posted on this blog, but Easter is almost here and I wanted to share with you a Cameronism. My grandson Cameron turns 8 on St. Patick's Day and his growing up so fast. It seems like only yesterday he was a tiny baby and it won't be long before he's a man.

The other night we were sitting in the living room watching T.V. and talking about Easter. Usually, Cameron wears either shorts or nice pants. He hasn't worn a suit on Easter Sunday since he was a toddler. It's not because we don't try, but Cameron has SPD(sensory perception disorder) and doesn't like buttons.

His mom and I were discussing his clothing options when he interrupted our conversation.

"Mawma, I want a suit."

"You want what?"

"I want to wear s suit."

Now this of course took me by surprise. I couldn't believe my ears. Cameron wanted a suit for Easter.

I had to question him further.

"Are you sure you want to wear a suit?"

He shook his head yes.

"You know you don't like buttons."

"I know Mawma, but I want to look like a gentleman."

My precious grandson taught me a valuable lesson that night. I kept trying to discourage him from wanting to look his best on Easter Sunday. I thought I was doing what was best for him, because he doesn't like buttons. The truth is I was trying to make things easier on myself. I know how Cameron can be. His mood changes from day to day and I was afraid he might have a meltdown. I wasn't thinking about his feelings or what he wanted.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 KJV

You see, I had trained Cameron up in the way he should go, I just didn't pay attention. I let my emotions get in the way of what he knew was the right thing to do.

So this Easter Sunday my almost grown-up eight year old grandson will not only look like a gentleman but he WILL BE a gentleman in more ways than one...

Nine month old Cameron in his 1st suit.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post
    Good blog
    I am following your blog with GFC
    now follow back my blog with GFC too
    http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete